Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A Trip to the Store

H. and I were out shopping at our local discount store over the weekend, checking out the discounts on Christmas cards, paper etc. The store is famous for the “white trashiness” of its clientele. Armed security guards etc, etc. This family walked past us in one of the aisles – the parents had to be in their early 20s, they had 4 very cute kids but it was really obvious that they didn’t have any money. The parents were swearing at each other and their kids. My heart broke for those little ones. As they passed by us, H. looked at me and said, “It’s so unfair – how come they can have 4 kids and we can’t even have one”

I just shrugged. There is no easy answer as to why some people can get pregnant so easily while others can’t. We don’t deserve children any more than anyone else, but I’m pretty sure we don’t deserve them any less either. Infertility is so frustrating. It can get into all aspects of your life. Even a silly trip to the store for frivolous things can be turned sour.

We both moved on and got back into the holiday spirit. But, the thought lingers with me… why not us?

2 comments:

Lost in Space said...

We do the same thing all the time. The conversation is now just understood with a simple, "Seriously?". We both know what the other means. Hugs.

Kristin said...

I can't tell you how many times I've said the same thing. It's so frustrating dealing with all of this. Thanks for your blog... it helps to read the words of another who has the same thoughts and feelings as me. And I hope that things do work out for you and H.
xo Kristin