Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Hi

The med-teaching session went pretty well. I will be doing pu.regon (100 per day) so the nurse wasn’t sure if I need to use the pen or a regular needle with vials. So, I was taught how to use both. I didn’t actually have to inject myself instead I used this squishy square thing that was supposed to simulate what it’s like to inject my big fat belly. Ugh. I was so nervous, but managed to follow the instructions to a ‘T’. The nurse even had me use the big needle to suck all of the meds out of the vial. She wanted to make sure that I don’t end up wasting any of it. It was slightly traumatic for me – I hate needles! But, the needle does look kind of insignificant. I know when push comes to shove that I will be able to do it. I’m such a wimp – I know it’s going to hurt, but not a lot and I’m making this into such a bigger deal than it needs to be.

We had a good weekend, it was a long weekend here in Toronto – Monday was Simcoe day. We didn’t do much, but we did go to a BBQ at my parents’ place. It was nice; the food was good, there were lots of bottles of wine and lots of laughs. Definitely a great way to spend the evening.

Today I heard a story about a friend of a friend’s wife’s sister. Just when you think you’ve got things bad, you hear one of these stories and then you feel so much better about your own life. The story goes that a year ago, the woman was 6 months pregnant and her husband owned his own trucking company. One of his trucks crashed into a government protected sanctuary and its oil dumped into the pone. The clean up cost $300000 and the man had let his insurance lapse. So, he had to declare bankruptcy. They lost their house and had to move into a trailer. Then the man got a job driving trucks. Now, I don’t know if you’re familiar with trucks at all, but the gas tank has a dipstick similar to the oil dipstick in your car. You use that dipstick to find out how much gas is left in the tank. Anyway, the guy was dipping the metal stick into the gas tank and somehow he scraped it against the side of the tank – causing sparks. The gas tank blew up throwing the man back from the truck and subsequently burning the man’s face and upper body. While he was in the hospital, his pregnant wife took over his truck route so that he wouldn’t lose his job and that they would still have an income. He is severely scarred, but is now out of the hospital, he has taken back his truck route and his wife had a healthy baby. Things look to be getting back on track, but they had a horrendous year. My heart goes out to these people at the same time somewhere in me, guiltily, I don’t feel quite as bad about my life.

1 comment:

Lost in Space said...

You aren't a wimp. This stuff is not easy and the first time is scary. You can do it!!

That is one strong family!! I hope things continue to look up for them.