Monday, August 25, 2008

On to IUI #1

When I’m talking to a “fertile” about my problems and hear the hyperbole that is spat back at me, there’s a quote from Dirty Dan.cing that always gets stuck in my head “Baby? Is that your name? Well you know what Baby? You don't know shit about my problems.” I say this to myself, while I’m nodding and agreeing that of course I just have to relax and go on vacation.

IUI #1 starts this week. Tomorrow I go for Day 3 blood work and ultrasound. My first ultrasound while on my period. Yuck. I know most fertility challenged women have to go through this, but oh my gawd, I find this disgusting. I mentioned it to a friend and she said I’m sure the Dr.’s have done it before so they won’t find it disgusting. Um, I was talking about me. Having some foreign object shoved in my nether regions while bleeding. Blech. At least I don’t need a full bladder for it.

I was hoping against hope that it wouldn’t come to this. That I would be one of those lucky women that narrowly avoid the procedures by getting a “miracle, natural pregnancy”. I snort in their general direction. Not that I really care about a natural pregnancy. I don’t think it makes it any better or worse – a pregnancy is a pregnancy. I was just hoping to avoid having to give needles to myself. I am willing to do whatever is necessary to get pregnant, but the needles give me the heebeegeebees. Especially the trigger shot.

But, here I am putting the cart before the horse; I have to pass my bloodwork first. It’s time to see if the FSH has skyrocketed or not. If my FSH is too high will they cancel the procedure? What if I don’t have any antral follicles (I think that’s what they’re called)? I know I’ll handle whatever comes and I do just need to relax. (did I just say that?!)

Update on my Dad. He’s out of the hospital and home. He had another small heart attack last week and has inflammation around the stent. He will be fine. He’s got a really good cardiologist and will be starting rehab soon. Neither he nor my Mom is sleeping through the night. My Mom has lost 8lbs in a week and a half due to the stress. I’m worried that she’s going to make herself ill.

Thank-you to everyone for your kind words and support around my Father’s illness, it is really appreciated.

5 comments:

Mums_the_word said...

I know it doesn't help much (if at all), but honestly, of all the possible needles, the trigger shot is the easiest one ever! honeysher posted a link somewhere to a video of how to do it that should be helpful, too. I might have a few extra syringes that you could use to 'practice'...

I'm with you on the CD3 u/s... I don't even want to start to think about how many trans-vag u/s's I've been through... and more than a handful of them on CD3, and it still skeeves me out *shudder*

I've got everything crossed that your numbers will be wonderful (both FSH and antral follie count), and that this is the one and only time you'll ever have to worry about a trigger shot :)

Lost in Space said...

I remember being weirded out by the cd3 u/s in the beginning. Sadly, it is now 2nd nature. It will be over before you know it.

I hope all your results turn out just fine tomorrow. I think all RE's base their cancellations differently, but it isn't as common to get cancelled right at the beginning unless you have a cyst. I'm sure all will be great!!

I'm so glad your dad is home. I hope both your parents are on the mend soon. Hugs.

Jessica White said...

Good luck with this cycle. I just went to my baseline appt yesterday and started clomid last night. Hopefully this cycle is it! For bother of us!

ICLW

Kristin said...

I know there are lots of good videos on YouTube about the proper way to give yourself the shots. My friend Monica aka CreoleinDC has put up some great ones. I wish you the best of luck with this IUI.

Also, I hope your dad's health improves and your mom is able to get some rest.

Jaymee said...

The shots you will get used to, they suck, but you will get used to them. Use a heating pad after when you start getting sore, keep it on the lowest setting, better for irritated skin.

I HATE the u/s too. While it is yucky and gross, trust me it could be a lot worse.

Sending you good thoughts. I look forward to following along with you.

Thank you for the comment.