Friday, May 16, 2008

Hmph.

I don't usually post every day, but I had to make sure to post about the following. Today I read in the local newspaper that O*HIP is covering sex reassignment surgeries now. Well 10 surgeries per year, but still they're covered. While I applaud their decision to cover this type of surgery I fail to understand how this can be covered while fertility treatments are not. I know that many more people would take advantage of the fertility treatments than sex reassignment; I understand how this would affect O*HIP fiscally. But, there has to be something they can do other than cover only those women who have bilaterally blocked tubes for IVF.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Oh - and on another note - on a whim I decided to re-check my benefits just in case I overlooked something. I did - we are actually covered for up to $2000 of fertility drugs. So, it's not quite as bad financially as we originally thought. Of course, if this was all covered by O*HIP we wouldn't have any stress.

1 comment:

Mums_the_word said...

I agree with you on the whole coverage of sex reassignment surgery thing. I think it's great that OHIP is going to cover this. But I find it pretty dispicable that they're claiming that they're doing this to save lives (I guess to cut down on suicides?), but they won't cover (or even subsidize) fertility treatments. A single sex-reassignment surgery will cost them the same as 2 - 3 IVF procedures. Are they blind to the psychological repercussions of infertility? Those repercussions can make infertility just as dangerous as the psychological repercussions of "a woman trapped in a man's body" (or vice versa), no? Le Sigh.