Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Lesson Learned

Well, I had my first appointment fertility clinic today. The clinic is tastefully decorated, with comfortable seating in the waiting room. The staff were all very nice. The Dr., well, I'm just going to call him Dr. Handsome, was really nice, very patient and explained everything to us.

H. and I had our bloodwork done on Monday and H. did his SA (semen analysis) last Wednesday. So, the bulk of our results were available for the clinic today. Well, except my CD4 FSH test - the lab forgot to do that one. Argh! Oh well, I'll just have to repeat it next month anyway.

We got the results of H.'s tests. There was a small part of me that was hoping the problem was with H. simply because I didn't want it to be my fault that we can't get pg. The bulk of my feelings were hoping that he was fine because it seems a lot easier to correct the female's issues than the males. Well, his boys seem to be powerful - count was 216/mL - they look for 20/mL or greater. Motility was 60% and morphology was 80%. All very good numbers. The only issue was the volume - he only produced 0.5 ml and they expect between 2 and 5ml worth of ejaculate. Dr. Handsome is thinking that it could be retrograde ejaculation - where the semen flows back into the bladder. Believe it or not Sudafed may help with this issue.

At my appointment the Dr. said he thinks the next step for me would be to have an SHG (sonohysterogram) where they inject saline into your uterus to check the health of the uterus and tubes. They're looking for polyps and blockages. Well, I have the appointment tomorrow morning. I'm a little worried about it, but I'll deal. It just feels like everything is moving so quickly now.

It's my birthday on Saturday; I'll be 37 years old. 37 and still not a mom. When I was a kid I didn't want to be married and settled down until I was in my 30's - I didn't give my fertility a whole lot of thought at the time. I just naturally assumed that when the time came I'd be ready - both mentally and physically. I didn't make it a priority in my 20's to find a man and settle down. I had fun, I had friends and if a guy came along that was great and if not that was great too. Perhaps that's a lesson learned that when I have a daughter I can pass on. That fertility is a precious and fleeting thing. To make it, if it is important to you, a priority on your list of things to do.

No comments: