Wednesday, September 29, 2010

30 Day Blogging Challenge - Day 14

A hero that has let you down.

I don't really have anyone that I've put on a pedestal and held up as a hero. There have been people I have admired, but no one that has really let me down. Sure there's Michael Vick and his dog fighting mess or Tiger Woods and his mistresses, there was OJ and the whole murder episode, but those have been things that I've followed with interest, but not really with that feeling of being let down.

I'm a Leafs fan, so I'm used to athletes not living up to my hopes. (For those of you not in the know, the Toronto Maple Leafs - a hockey team - have not one the Stanley Cup, or first place overall, since 1967 the last time they came anywhere close making it to the semi-finals was 1993.)

I am a big Brett Favre fan. 2 years ago, H. and I made a pilgrimage down to Lambeau Field to see the Packers play the Giants in the NFC championship. The Packers lost and I thought I had seen Favre's last game ever. He did retire that summer, then came back and played for the Jets, then retired and is now playing for the Vikings. I still love me some Favre, but I do feel a little let down that I didn't get to see his last game ever - just his last as a Packer.

It's weird that I can't really think of anyone that I've held dearly that has let me down. Well, there may be one person. I think having been molested at the age of 8, changed me. It made me realize early that people aren't always trustworthy and that the only person I can really count on is myself.

No comments: